CHEERS TO GOOD TIMES!


It was my youngest maternal uncle who introduced me to the world of spirits -The ones that gave you a high and not the ones that gave sleepless nights. Since I tasted my first beer, I have traveled a long way indeed(wink). I arouse my mom's wrath every time I drink (sigh) and can hear her admonishment, rolling her eyes "Why can't you be a good girl, this happens only in your dad's side, girls drinking." The statement made by any woman who opinions that her relatives were all saints and the husband's side all sinners. (But it's a fact that my mom loves her in-laws and is loved and respected by all of dad's relatives.)

I get away with a quick reply that her brother was the culprit and yes, my dad's side cousins and I enjoy our drinks, and we have no qualms about it. After all, I drink with my husband nowadays so let's leave it at that. (My mom sulks for a while and comes around soon enough). It has been an irreconcilable issue between us.


Party with friends was a regular affair after my marriage. Many new years eve and birthday parties with friends are still fresh in my memory. All my friends, (well I have a 9: 1 ratio in favour of boys for friends) love and respect my spouse and call me their classmate and the hubby as their "glassmate". Our friend, Peter's house, has been our party pad since school days. (Those days we got high by drinking chai with friends) His was the house where we convened for school projects too. His parents fed all of us and never reprimanded us, and we all assumed it was "our" home.

Resorts with swimming pools were party spots when we were feeling luxurious. Peter's better half, is a sweetheart, and she puts up with all of us, cooks for us, clears up the mess we create. (She has me on video hollering "Nanha munna raahihoon" during one of our fun times). I am known as the mother in law in the group. Oh yeah, I rule and order the wives of my friends. And I am lucky that my friends and I have been blessed with GOOD understanding partners.

I was initiated into stylish parties and the etiquette of drinking when we joined a club for entrepreneurs where people networked with a drink in hand, smiling, hugging and air-kissing. I had to pretend to be someone I was not, trying to eat the canapes daintily and glide around making conversation with everyone.  There were very few sincere friendships, and a lot of negative vibes were felt. Then I decided to stop the pretense and be myself. If friends were meant to stay, they would. I enjoyed it when I chucked the pretentiousness and did make some amazing friends too. I totally enjoyed the Beer and Biryani sessions.

We have had crazy parties at home too. I love concocting cocktails by procuring the different ingredients. B52 the flambe is my speciality. The cocktails were the byproduct of our life in Dubai!
One new year party, I think it was 2004 in Chennai we had invited a few friends over. The one who made ad films and had contacts in the movie industry. He did direct a film though later. So this guy said to some guy about the party at our house, and that guy informed someone and so on and so forth. By the time it was 11.30 pm, our home and garden were filled with people — friends and friends of friends. Weed was also in play I heard. Anyways it was a grand celebration, and we wound up early on the first of January, and the folks vanished as they had come. Some literally walked home for many kilometres in the highly spirited state!


My lovely crazy cousins are the people I love sharing a glass with. Be it a wedding or a death in the family we were sure to sit around laughing at the new beginning or share memories about the member who has passed on to the other side. We salute the departed soul and jest that they were having a party too up above. Subtle fumes play tricks on memory, and we sometimes talk to branches that flutter in the breeze. Yeah, craziness runs in the family.

All these drinking sessions are prevalent with amusing anecdotes and reminiscent recollection of sombre episodes.
At times when there's no one around, no party is happening and nothing to celebrate, the husband and I sit with our Glass of fine single malt (no wine for me ...I find it too mild and civilized!) Although my dad's genes in me are flaring up, and I enjoy Rum nowadays. We watch our favourite TV show and enjoy each other's companionship and celebrate our togetherness.


Aha...I seemed to have meandered and not done what I set out to do. That's what actually what I enjoy, I begin something and I go crazy and shoot off in different tangents, by now you guys would have accepted my shortcomings and travel with me in the haphazard route I take you all in.

As I remember my first drink So do I remember the promise I made to Fiona, Peter's adorable daughter who is growing up into a charming teenager. She always stayed awake late into the night when we all partied. One such time she was curious to know the taste of the coloured stuff in our glass, and I made a pact with her - that the day she turns 18 I'll pour her first drink and clink my glass with hers....she seemed ok with it but looked me in the eye and quipped "Better stay alive for that".


I hope so too!!!

Ps. She reminds me of our agreement very often, though. I am taking better care of myself to honour my promise.

Comments

  1. கண் ஆடி கண்ணடி....

    ReplyDelete
  2. with your கண்ணாடி mate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very imaginative and beautifully penned! Loved it.
    Await my share of cheers with you soon ;-)
    Great work...Keep it going:-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written Sangeetha and looking forward to more on the same lines. Somewhere this narration turned into a short story and now waiting for a continuation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

TO TEACH OR NOT TO TEACH