MESSY TRESSES

 

After many deliberations and deep meditative thinking, I reached the final decision. The ground study had begun a few months ago. I checked with my friends for their recommendations on the right place and affordable price. The collected data was collated, and I chose the location with the maximum recommendations.


In the meantime, I tried to pry from my best half a little help in decision making. I devised ingenious methods to catch him off guard into giving me a different reply—no such luck. The husband was smarter than I.

Morning evening or lunchtime drinks time, TV time, every time the same answer, (i.e. whenever he paid attention to my ramblings) "You want to do it, then do!"

So, I decided to have a haircut! I hated going to the beauty salons. I did not particularly appreciate being scrutinised by the Goddesses who work in a salon. With the highbrow, they looked down upon me, clicking their tongues in disapproval. Anyways I didn't dare to chop my mane like... The kid- was it, Matilda!? I called up the salon to fix up an appointment. No, I did not go the salon decided based on the collated data. I chose the one nearest to my home! And boy, the rates were exorbitant. The reviews were 3:1 three in favour, good enough for me. I noted the names of hairstylists recommended by regular customers.

I picked up the phone, soothing music then a clipped thickly accented voice drawled in English, "Welcome to Scarlett's salon. How may I help you?"

I need to come clean here about my choosing this particular place, yes, I loved the name Scarlett being a fan of Gone with the Wind and Scarlett Johansson!

"Hi, I need an appointment for a haircut for tomorrow evening."

"Yeah, sure! Are you a regular here?"

"No. It's my first time."

"No problem. Is 5.30 pm, OK?"

"Hmm yeah OK!" (I paused before accepting to hint, I was busy and had to check if the time was OK!)

"Name?"

"Sangeetha"

"Sanjeeetha"

"Yes." (I acceded after a few attempts at correcting her.)

I had almost forgotten, "Can I get Katarina or Alexandria for cutting my hair?"

"Hmmm, I am sorry. They are both booked. You will have Nadia."

Well, I had fallen into a trap! Being a new customer, I was relegated to someone who could use me as a learning experience. Boohoo hoo.

The husband dropped me off for my appointment the next day and went to the car wash.

The Russian beauties welcomed me. A slim brunette with clear skin, lustrous hair and manicured hands ushered me in and hollered, "Nadia, your customer is here."

Nadia came with bouncy steps, and a toothy smile (all held captive by braces.) She seated me in a comfortable chair, arranged the footrest that was far away for my short stature and intensely gazing, asked me in accented English what style I wanted?

I went on in my usual crazy speed of talking and explained what I wanted. A puzzled look from her and I halted with a screech. I started at the beginning, slow and precise like talking to a child.

Her eyes shone in understanding, and then we began to chat! I had just finished reading Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky, and my heart surged in love toward the Russians. Well, she corrected my pronunciation of Dostoyevsky!


In contrast to the other salon girls who had worked on my hair before -this one had no complaints about my hair! She appreciated the volume of my hair!

Snip snip went her scissors while I began to pull out her tongue! You all know that I have always been a chatty person, but nowadays, I am extra alert for stories and characters!

Nadia unbosomed details about life in Russia and her family. She was eager to talk - No one had shown any interest in her before.  She was new to this salon!! (sigh)Sometimes she would put the scissors down, and we would just talk while the scissors lay forgotten.  A customer was in the remote right corner sitting with a bored expression while aluminium foil, covered her head.

In 30 minutes, she had cut my hair almost in an imperceptible fashion. (I had requested earlier not to chop off too much length.) Her pathetic life story was all shared, and I contributed my invaluable part in lifting her spirits. My compassion overflowed. (I am quite lavish with it.) I even talked to her about free audiobooks and enlightened about Librivox as she was inclined to books. Because in my opinion Books are the best remedy for anything and everything.

When I looked down, there was hardly any hair on the floor. But I did not want to sound like a prod. We almost hugged each other but mindful of the corona restrictions curbed our instincts. I took my mask from my handbag, and she took hers, we donned our masks and bid 'Dasvidaniya.'

Everyone had a mask on- a smile dissembling their emotions. The mask was necessary to carry on with life. With profound thoughts, I waited.

The husband stared at me with furrowed brows, "Didn't you get a haircut?"

"I did!!"

I was uncharacteristically silent on the way home; Nadia's tale had sapped me.

My mom couldn't control her enthusiastic laughter at seeing my expensive invisible haircut. Nadia had remarked that I could visit her within a week again if I were not satisfied with the haircut and that she would do it free for me.

I was too lazy to take up on that offer. My hair growth is luxuriant; soon, it will be time for the next haircut!

Should I or should I not!!!

Comments

  1. Haha! Typical you through and through, enjoyed it Sang.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dosto yevsky and dasvi daaniya huh 👍 great narration as always. Yup I can only imagine the look on The husband and your mom :) invisible hair cut huh, my my. No I think you should now get a real haircut to feel good this time... But do not make the same mistake again with our Russian friend Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dosto yevsky and dasvi daaniya huh 👍 great narration as always. Yup I can only imagine the look on The husband and your mom :) invisible hair cut huh, my my. No I think you should now get a real haircut to feel good this time... But do not make the same mistake again with our Russian friend Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your narration as always

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience narrated in lucid style (as always).. The Russian girl .. Interesting character.. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Waw... Such a good narrative... Good observer and story teller.... I don't even remember the faces/names when I go to a parlour.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

TO TEACH OR NOT TO TEACH