D2D - DUBAI TO DOHA

Yet again time to pack the bags and move into a new home, a new country. It's been like this for the last ten years. Just when I start feeling totally at home and complacent, the husband decides to uproot the family to a new place. Not that I am complaining, in fact I welcome the adventure and break in monotony. (He can read my mind ahha). Love the prospect of searching for a new house (with an awesome view), getting the right locality, setting up the home, finding new friends and exploring the city. The only hassle, packing the necessary items and coming to a decision to chuck away things.. to let go - for the need of decluttering! Yes I have been introduced to Marie Kondo and her work by a dear friend. So this urge to declutter is rampant in me.


Days have passed and I haven't had time to get back to this write up ..I am reeling under the feeling of euphoria, tiredness and confusion. I am surrounded by lots and lots of my stuff, my otherwise clinical house looking like a railway platform. There's so much work to do, but then when I am struck by the urge to write, I put aside everything and do it!The countdown has started, merely a fortnight for me to leave Dubai. I'll miss this beautiful country, my home, my view from the balcony, how many sunsets I have captured with my mobile. I'll miss clicking pictures of the Burj Khalifa and Burj Al Arab!




Its been crazy this week...having decided to dispose off most of the heavy stuff as the shipping quote has had our heads spinning. Then the decision of what to sell what to carry...I did a la Marie Kondo, looked at each of my furniture and the various knick knacks, talked to them reminiscing about the time, circumstances and the shop I bought it from. Thanked it for serving it's purpose and informed that they will be soon moving into a new home to a new family. I know I know what you are thinking, I am kinda weird but you must be familiar with my psyche reading my blog posts.
Posted advertisements in all the necessary WhatsApp, Facebook, dubiZzle groups. I placed vases with bright flowers aiming to aesthetically appeal to the visual senses and clicked pictures of the product on sale. Hah putting a price on the possessions was difficult too. After weighing in the minor scratches and the age of the product I fixed a price for each piece. The husband looked at me exasperated "you fix up the price, sell the stuff, don't ask me inane questions" okay, I was irked at this response but decided to turn it to my advantage, "so you mean I am not answerable to what and how much I sell the stuff for" The look on his face was priceless! He let out a disgusted " huh!!" and left me to my madness ...(he was wary that I would put a price tag on him too!!)

With that settled, I put a price on each item and posted the ads. I wrote it on a piece of paper so I don't get ruffled up when the sale or bargaining happens.My friend, who stays in the apartment, a Punjabi girl in her late 20s, due to deliver in a few weeks (I ll miss seeing the baby) came up with some wonderful ideas. She was so enthusiastic and gave me tips to sell my stuff .Upon her advise I messaged my good friends first about the stuff on sale so they can have the first pick. Her next advise was to sell almost everything, from decorative pieces to glassware to grocery to brooms. Not to price each item separately instead bunch them up as washroom decoration or kitchen organisers and sell them. She became a task master, running me around to pack up the things I wanted to carry and display all the products for sale and keep an open house sale - her idea worked, who ever came to buy whiskey glasses ended up going away with a few books. Yes that was the most difficult decision that I took - to sell my books, they were so heavy and buying the kindle version sounded better. So noted down the titles that were going away to a new home, promised them to take them back in a new avatar!

I gave away my plants to a friend asked him to nurture them with love. I explained in detail about the various plant tonics and gardening tools that I had.
I met many kinds of people during my selling spree...some shared pictures of the stuff they picked up from my house and how they have utilized it! With some I had to remind them umpteen times to get me my money (I let them take the stuff and pay me later). Met a few ladies from the apartment complex with whom I could have definitely forged a great friendship had I met them earlier. I gave away gifts to the buyers, to the ones who didn't haggle over the prices!
With my house becoming empty, my heart was getting heavier! Finally I decided to close shop and pack (or throw) the rest of the things. Called the packers and shipped away the stuff labelled necessities. 
Bid farewell to old and new friends with the cliche" God willing we'll meet again someday ... somewhere".

On the way to the airport, I couldn't get enough of looking at the Burj Khalifa.......standing majestically tall touching the skies...... as the clouds pay respect and move on. The Burj al Arab glistening like a pearl as the rays of the sun showers blessings and the blue sea serenely surrounds it..... Goodbye UAE, Thank you for all the love!!




Embarking on a new, hopeful journey to a place which is more culturally rooted, a contrast to the stylish, ultra modern Dubai.If not love at first sight I am sure I'll slowly fall in love with Doha.......in time.....


P.S. Now on a break in scorching Chennai, meeting friends and family....My tickets to Doha are booked and I am brimming with excitement  to start a new adventure at Doha SOON!!!

Comments

  1. அடடா அடடா, Beautiful write-up Sangi, Just love the way you are writing...You just took me to your apartment and I felt like I was there behind you, watching all your actions in the shifting of home...Best wishes for the start of a new chapter in your life at DOHA ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, it was touching! More than a write-up, it carries an insight into your life's hues. Eloquently narrated! a la Mary Kondo ...love it. Keep writing more. Wishing you a wonderful term in Doha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only u can write so beautifully about a taxing job. Hv read abt all ur adventures in UAE, and hv seen the Burj Khalifa through your words. Waiting to get to know Doha. Keep writing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great narration once again. Huh dazzling Dubai yup hard to say good bye to a second home but looks like you are getting a similar spacious apartment in a high rise with spectacular view and get ready to run around arranging things your way and guaranteed you would shed few kilos. I am sure people who bought your items are thankful and cherish the good choice they made. To let go is one thing but welcoming new is another joy. I am sure Doha is blessed to welcome a loving and kind couple who would certainly make a difference to the community they live in. By the way do not huff and puff that D is unlike Emiraata D. Guess 4 letters could prove to be luckier than 5 letters. Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make the ordeal of moving out and settling down in a new home sound quite exciting! Good read as always ...Wish you both the best of times ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

AMIDST STRANGERS