THE GREEN PATCH

I am not the gardening type. This thought has taken root since childhood when I tried to grow a plant. We stayed in the Air force quarters, a small modest accommodation with a patch of land. We had a fence of shrubs and a rickety wicket gate in the front. Mom loved crotons, she didn't want the flowering plants as the neighbourhood kids would ransack the flowers, leave the gate open for the grazing cows and goats to finish the job. Yes we lived in perfect harmony with the cows and goats, hens and crows and wild plants surrounding the quarters. These crotons grow aplenty in Air force station compound and dad would get a branch of the various colourful plants. After work he would take the gardening equipment and dig holes in the land after mom decides and plans the pattern of our garden. I would be dad's assistant, feeling very important, although dad wouldn't let me touch the sharp instruments or carry load, yes totally pampered single child I was! We would lay out our garden amidst small quarrels and disagreement between my parents and my mom winning hands down! 

Along with the crotons, dad planted a few eucalyptus saplings, neem saplings and the seeds of guava, papaya, mangoes and jackfruit. We had the drumstick tree and the curry leaves plant. Whenever we ate fruits and decide it's the best tasting till date, the seeds would invariably find their way into our garden. We never wondered if we would remain in the dwellings till the trees bear fruits or not. 

Occasionally I would state my interest in getting my hands dirty to plant a seed in the ground. I was and I am too finicky about cleanliness and would rather not get my hands soiled by the soil. So clinically I would plant a seed, pray that it survives and forget all about it. My parents would do the watering daily. And all the seeds and plants planted by dad would all sprout up and grow slowly to strong trees. And not once the ones I plant grew up. After trying a few times I decided that I cannot make it happen and have never taken up gardening since. We made our gate a little stronger kept a notice instructing everyone not to pluck flowers/leaves and keep the gate closed. We did in time, plant a few flowering plants like the zenia, hibiscus, balsam, marigolds. There used to be the best kept garden competition too and we came a close second once. The wife of the Air Commodore with a few other officer's wives would visit each garden and select the best ones. 

We stayed for almost 20 years in the same quarters and witnessed the growth of the papaya and guava  trees and enjoyed the fruits of our labour. The neem and the eucalyptus grew strong and high, healthy breeze always for us. The mango and the jackfruit would serve some other people. 

Now in Dubai, the husband and I have our own small number of pots and plants in our 17th floor apartment.  The landlady left with us a 12 year old money plant in a pot and asked us to nurture it. We decided to give the plant some company and bought some plants and pots and potting soil and did gardening in our balcony. No flowers, not my moms reasoning, but am not too fond of flowering plants (yes I am weird). We have a variety of non flowering plants and a few cacti as well. Watching all the Masterchef programs on TV has inspired me to have my own herb garden some day. Did try some fenugreek, coriander, thyme, rosemary, basil etc. Under my supervision they all dried and wilted away. I don't take the chance of potting the plants that's the husbands job... I do water them as and when required though. We wished to grow our own tomatoes so one weekend I watched my best half plant the seeds. After a few days tiny saplings paved it's way and smiled at us. We were overjoyed. Then slowly day by day it grew strong and tall, as we pruned it a bit it grew all bushy but still was rapidly growing higher and higher.  We got rods to support it. It's been more than 6 months still no sign of flower. I watched many videos on YouTube about growing tomatoes, bought Epsom salts and plant tonic taking care of it like a baby. We were growing impatient and the husband daily talks to the plant and coaxes it to flower.  I was advised to talk less to others and spend time talking to the plant. However I bored it enough with my nonsense till it bore flowers. We have a few flowers, can see the peduncle the yellow flowers will be out in a day or two hopefully. The flowers blossomed up aplenty and I waited for the fruit....many flowers wilted and fell. New buds opened up  still no sign of fruit. The husband and I are losing our patience. 

As the new year dawned tiny green tomatoes greeted us..now my plant has 10 tomatoes growing bigger and bigger and new ones sprouting too.Waiting to pluck home grown tomatoes and savor them soon !!

Ps. The tomatoes are growing bigger and I am away from home, in India. Have instructed the husband to take care of them. Fingers crossed!
My Valentine's Day gift this year!!


Comments

  1. Awww awesome happy to see a tomato truly a valentine gift. Hoping these plants will be cared for by your padaipali husband of yours by the way he calls himself padaipali and you uzhaipali and thudaipali:)finally fruits of hard work with patience, persistence and perseverance. You go girl loved your narration and could understand how much you wanted to see a bud, flower and fruit sprout up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had nightmares of the plants wilting and pots breaking !!

      Delete
  2. Wish you all the best for a great time in pursuing gardening as a hobby. It's good for body and soul. Next time we meet I would like to have tomatoes reared and harvested by you. Good blog on a good topic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

Vroom Vroom...