A BAD HAIR DAY(S)




What happened to your hair ?
Well ...I had a haircut!
But why?
Oh ...I was bored so just chopped it off !
But who would cut such  lengthy, healthy hair?
I would...and I did .. didn't like people staring at the long hair with a few grey strands jutting out, while talking to me.
Is that the look you are going for !?!

Is going under the scissors and getting your hair chopped short like a boy the solution? The parlor lady was aghast at my request. Had to cajole her to cut my hair, can you believe it?

I just don't like to go to the beauty salons, these totally made up girls (using up all the beauty products)have opinions about your skin type, the hair texture, the eyebrow shape and what not. I used the salons for services on my face and head alone, else she would have condemned every part  of my body!

Yeah I know, I am not the epitome of perfection, I have survived this long with these imperfections. There has been no dearth of admirers either(wink wink)! So keep your opinions to yourself and take off the extra hair that's giving my eyebrows an image of sun rays. I am like the mascot of a political party!

Tried the facial once before my wedding and once again when my friend took me for a free skin treatment some new "Aqua" treatment they were trying out. So volunteered my imperfect skin to be rejuvenated. After working for an hour, I was advised to stay away from the sun for a day. How do I transport myself to a cosy hill station from the scorching Chennai sun, straight from the salon? Covered my face in a shawl and reached home to notice my face all pink and itchy. Pink became red and the skin started peeling off by the next morning. I called up my friend to know her status , She was still in the pink itchy condition. Had to stay away from work and "hyde". That kept me away from entrusting my face to those who speak about enhancing my beauty!

Once I was in the company of well groomed women who were talking about nail spas and artificial nails, eyelashes, eye shadows, pencils and the number of lipsticks they have. I was too overwhelmed and purchased my very first lipstick (had used hand me downs earlier). What patience these ladies have to sit through all these various services done on them. Beauty comes at a cost.

I did discuss about the make up science with my school friends, well no surprise there, they are novices just like me purchasing their first compact and BB creams and outrageously shocked at the prices.

I bought a tweezer and clipped my own sun rays as they begin to rise,saves me the trouble of paying the lady to comment on my beauty. These girls inveigle me into buying unwanted beauty products! 

As a once a year activity I try to declutter the shelves, there are so many beauty products past their expiry, some unopened, a few half used by which time I would have lost interest in the enhancement of my beauty (sigh), some curdled like old milk, few stuck shut so tight as... well I leave it to your imagination on something tight as per your sensibilities (chuckles). Some of these I have no clue on how to use it and where to use it ? Is it for the eyes or the lashes or for the eyebrows! once my friend asked me how she looked after an hour of make up....she had white and blue eye shadows. I was aghast and told her she looked ghostly. She stomped off telling Sangu you are incorrigible. There's a concealer, BB cream, body yoghurt (!?!) serum, gel, mousse, foundation, primer, brow & lash shampoo.... who has the patience for all these !?!


With great trepidation I went for a haircut, stepping into a salon after a hiatus. I had done my homework, showed her pictures of celebrities with short hair styles and stated my preference. She got on to chopping off layers and layers of my mane, so many years of oiling and shampooing and combing, all cluttering the floor tiles. I closed my eyes,enjoying the snip snip of the scissors and waited for the instruction to check her handiwork, on the mirror. I was pleased with the transformation,looked neat and short although I looked more like a small boy than the 41 year old woman that came in. I the asked her to run the clipper on the back of the neck, hah!! perfect for the summer .

All was well for the first few days. Easy to wash and no combing needed. My hair was nutritious and growing fast. In no time I started looking like medusa, (oh, no snakes though) no amount of combing or using hairpin and hairband could give me a non junglee look. I resembled Mowgli of Jungle book. The haircut is never as good as the day we get it done. Like Cindrella's magic, it wears off!

Shall I grow it back? At least enough to tie up in a knot? Should I have coloured my hair like everyone else? (lazy me, visiting the salon at regular intervals ...nah not workable)... Do I chop it off again? (haircut once in 20 days ....too expensive) Is the unkempt unruly look in vogue ?

Oh God! my imperfections are on the rise !



P.S. Some see this as a deserved comeuppance for my irrational chopping of my hair !?!

Comments

  1. Nice read Sangu. But did not tell if your hair is like medussa or maugli now........Ha ha just joking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this I see a lot of ME in YOU hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tangle Sangeetha. Yup true the greatness of salon styling lasts only till next wash and then makes us feel bad as we have a bad hair day despite the recent haircut. We think of flat iron and blow dry but get scared when we see few extra strands. Anyways convince yourself saying who is going to look at me now? My husband... Nah any style is too much for him! And life continues to be envious when we pass by a salon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well that's a mistake we do...taking the husbands for granted ...Shouldn't we dress up for them !?!

      Delete
  4. Haha! Reflecting my own thoughts! ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it's the story of every female !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

D2D - DUBAI TO DOHA