FRIENDSHIP IN THE AIR



A common misconception is that people are uptight in the sky in comparison to the rails. An extrovert like me engages in a conversation with fellow beings wherever I am. Circumstances demanded my frequent travel to Chennai, as my dad was ailing, now without him around, and mom alone, the frequency has only increased.
As expected I don't recollect my earlier travel companions and the conversation but the one I did last, is still fresh in my memory.

A morning flight so to beat the crowd I reached the airport early. After the formalities,had a light breakfast in the lounge and took out a book to read, unfortunately was the last chapter and I was irked at the book's abrupt end. An English translation of MT Vasudevan Nair, hah when will I read in my mother tongue? Translations never come as good as the original.

So with nothing worthwhile to do, I came to the gate, amused that people had formed a queue (with so much time to spare) to get onto their flight, lest it flies without them. 

I ambled in last, drowned in the expressions of people around me. Was a little annoyed when I saw 2 old ladies taking up the window seat and the middle.I had specifically asked for the window seat.I smiled at a tall guy and he helped me secure my luggage in the overhead cabin....too short to reach it, every time!

I looked at the ladies and asked, so you want the window seat? The lady in the middle smiled and said whatever you want, we'll move. I didn't think it was humane to disturb the oldies, so I graciously settled on the aisle.
Shortly a steward addressed the old lady about why she needed wheelchair assistance, the lady looked perplexed as she couldn't understand and I had to repeat. She  answered in English, I am 82, aged and hence need assistance and said she's more fluent in Hindi, the steward asked her to call in case of discomfort for assistance.

Then we started talking. She looked frail but was full of spirits and I was bowled over by her  attitude. Followed the usual tirade about family,job,kids etc. She has been living in Mumbai for the last 60 years, married and went to Bombay as a young new bride. Now an old widow, husband passed away few years ago . She stays alone in a flat opposite her daughter's apartment, who stays with her in-laws. She was travelling with her niece a woman aged 67 (yes we shared the details of age too) to Dubai, to meet her sister aged 85. She has done this trip from Mumbai many times but first time flying out of Chennai. Her daughter was my age ,the lady had a late marriage and a late motherhood. 

As I had had a light breakfast, I declined their offer of idlis. It was an Indigo flight, no one was in a mood for a cold sandwich anyway. We dozed off for a while and picked up the thread of conversation again. She took a hearing aid and clipped it on, I was surprised asked her why this now, as she could perfectly hear me. She said, it was on her daughter's insistence that she uses them ,it's a bit of a strain hearing without it but this gives a big discomfort and irritates her. I asked her to keep it back in her bag and continue without it. She gave me a million dollar smile and we continued animatedly. The niece never bothered us till we were about to land. A spinster retired from Indian bank. The ladies reassured me that having no kids is fine too as we are all alone one way or the other and told me to be happy and content without kids .

The niece wanted to use the washroom and with great reluctance, asked me to give way, they didn't want to disturb me. I got up and the older woman sheepishly smiled and said, I ll also go now so that you don't get disturbed again. Such courteousness!

We had a smooth landing and I waited with them till their wheelchair arrived, we were the last passengers to get off. I shook hands with them,a firm handshake from the older woman and a limp one from the niece. I wished them a good time and safe flight back home. The older woman looked at me with so much love, thanked me for the wonderful time and added, she has traveled many times but never had a good companion like me. With her blessings and a heavy heart I went my way.



ps. As I remember my travel companion fondly, she might also be reminiscing about the journey,alone in her Mumbai apartment. 

Comments

  1. Good One ....Every time you gets a good companions during your travel but it seems most of your encounters with older people ....expecting younger companions in your future travels and your write up on the travel experiences with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and entertaining too. Wishing you meet the old lady again soon, may be in your next journey 👍😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made someone happy an old lady with great attitude and firm handshake next a not so old lady with a limp handshake Attitude is everything. By the way you are a great company and a good sport just realized when we met in Chennai on July 13. Man you have the energy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Uma... I have always been this talkative person...ready to strike a conversation with anyone !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely written.. Love talking to strangers 😀

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

TO TEACH OR NOT TO TEACH