DADDY DEAREST




It's fathers day and the media is spewing forth ideas of gifts for the fathers, articles about the role of a father in the life of their children as opposed to that of a mother. Some new dad is talking about the sense of inadequacy in the changing world. What is expected of a father? I can tell you as a daughter who just lost her father recently - it's something no one else other than your own can perform in as the BEST. 

I miss my dad everyday, each moment....a  song , a smell, the way I sit on the chair just like he used to, everything and anything reminds me of him. Daughters are precious to their dads and I, a single child was pampered and protected so much that many of my friends have said they hope they can be a dad like him if they have a daughter. They are all dads of their princesses now trying to emulate my dad.

I  can still hear my dad's voice, calling me his tiny girl, his life. I used to laugh at him and say I am so fat and round and you still call me your tiny girl.  The way he prays with open palms after his bath and comes hurriedly to plant a kiss on my forehead to transfer all the goodness and effect of his prayers on to me. I can feel the imprint of his cold lips from the bath on my forehead . How he knew when I needed him to lift something, climb up the ladder to reach the books in the loft, to open a tight jar in the kitchen, to accompany me to the temple - I just had to think and he would be there for me, with me, never tired ...always smiling. 


Things changed when he fell sick. It was role reversal , I had to be there for him, help him walk , read the newspaper to him, play his favourite songs and enjoy his enthusiasm when he sang along making up the lyrics and tune. I was his source of strength, he held on to me when he went through pain and assured me he'll  be fine soon . I had to pretend to be strong for him.From daughter I became his mother.

I continue to talk to my dad, share jokes with him, play his favourite songs and cry myself to sleep, wake up with a feeling of helplessness. 

Fools believe that time is a great healer. 

I did have my share of arguments and fights with him and wish I had been a better daughter .I imagine his life in heaven, making merry with his family and friends who reached there before him. It's weird to see him as a photo along with the Gods but then,I have my own personal God who will look over me. 

Achha ( dad in malayalam) protected me and protects me forever.

Comments

  1. Pahhh....too good...CLD feel each word!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So touching and emotional.. well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. Straight from the heart dear. No words can express how U make the readers feel! We all are there for you, FOREVEr with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do we need words to speak that which can never be adequately said? Wish I could be able to reduce the sense of loss

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes not to worry his blessings will always be with you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MOVIE MANIA

SLICE OF LIFE

D2D - DUBAI TO DOHA